Here's a list of local climate action events
Search by event name, location, or description. Sort by date, newest to oldest or the other way around.
Extreme Water Levels: Impacts and Strategies Webinar Series
Host: Georgian Bay Forever
Host Web site: https://georgianbayforever.org
Online event address: https://georgianbayforever.org/wl-impacts-and-strategies-webinars/
When: Oct 23, 2021 @ 10:00 AM
Georgian Bay Forever!
Find all the links for these 3 webinars at https://georgianbayforever.org/wl-impacts-and-strategies-webinars/
Webinar 1 of 3: What’s Happening? What’s New?
Sat. Oct. 23, from 10 am to 12 pm.
The first webinar will focus on:
1. What's coming? Climate change impacts. Update on water levels, forecasts and impacts.
2. The GBA/GBF Action Plan. An update on the GBA/GBF actions from the 2020 Water Levels symposium, "Driving Consensus on What Do Do About Extreme Water Levels in Georgian Bay".
3. A report and update on "The Action Plan to Protect the Great Lakes" (Action Plan 2030)".
4. Impacts to wetlands, flora and fauna. How adaptable are they?
Webinar 2 of 3: Shorelines, Docks & Shoreline Structures
Sat. Nov. 13, from 10 am to 12 pm.
Natural Coastal Processes: Naturalizing Shorelines - Hard vs. Soft. What to do (and not to do) on shorelines - what erosion impacts can we expect.
1. Flooding - High Water Mark (Land/Water Interface). What to do about shoreline cabins, sheds, docks, and boathouses. How should they be reconfigured (raised or moved)? What are the impacts/regulations? Should the municipal high water level mark be changed?
2. Storms, waves and wakes. What can we expect from higher wind strengths and more frequent and intense storms increasing wave action? What can be done to reduce harmful boat wakes?
Webinar 3: Septics – Insurance – Businesses
Sat. Dec. 4, from 10 am to 12 pm.
1. Septic systems. How vulnerable is your septic system? What are the options to resolve septic issues?
2. What are the potential impacts on potable water in high and low water events?
3. Insurance and Planning. What are the potential impacts on property insurance? The benefits of long-term planning verses short term reactions.
4. Coastal Infrastructure. What are the impacts on municipal infrastructure, shoreline businesses (including marinas), contractors, and other services of extreme high and low water levels? How can those impacted adapt?